Today we're kicking off Zero Waste Week by sharing our round up of top tips to reduce the eco-waste around your home.
In case you're not familiar with it, Zero Waste Week is a global environmental campaign, designed to put the spotlight on reducing waste and pollution. As a grass-roots campaign, individuals everywhere are encouraged to think about how they can minimise their own environmental footprint. If you've been thinking about taking the first steps towards a more sustainable lifestyle, this is the sign you've been waiting for.
Read on for some simple, low-cost ideas that you can start doing today!
1. Repurpose all your glass jars for storage. Old sauce bottles can be reused to store your lentils, spices or as a fancy tumbler for your smoothies! Or try using them in the bathroom, by converting a used candle jar into a make-up brush holder.
2. Carry your own cotton or canvas bag to the supermarket, and your own produce bags for your loose fruit and veggies. Shop our range of cotton mesh produce bags here, or reuse whatever bags you already have at home. Just remember, something in a mesh design will help your produce breathe and stay fresh!
3. Take the 'no new clothes' pledge for September. Or no new shoes, no new gadgets - whatever your vice.
4. Switch to a Bamboo dish and pot brush. Plastic brushes are made from polypropylene and nylon, which can hang around for almost 1000 years before finally breaking down. Bamboo brushes are made from the natural Bamboo plant and vegan coconut bristles, both of which are sustainable and biodegradable. You can shop our sets, or individual brushes here.
5. Switch to a soap bar instead of liquid handwash. You can even try a shampoo and conditioning bar for your hair. We haven't tried that ourselves yet, so would love to hear if that has worked well for any of our readers. Let us know in the comments below.
6. Stop using plastic zip lock bags. They're flimsy, single-use and often contain BPA, which can result in long term health issues. Silicone zip lock bags are washable, reusable and safe to store all your fruits and leftovers. You can shop ours here.
7. Make your own cleaning products. A mixture of three parts water and one part distilled vinegar can be safely used to wipe down most household surfaces. Add a couple of drops of essential oil for a unique scent.
8. Switch to reusable Bamboo make-up remover pads. This is my personal favourite - no more dry or irritated skin after using single-use make up remover wipes! Bamboo pads are soft, hypoallergenic and washable. Shop our range here.
These are some easy, low cost tips to get started on your zero waste journey. Many of these ideas have been contributed by our Instagram followers. If you have any simple tips, let us know in the comments below so we can share them with our community!