I was going to start this recipe with a bread pun, but I thought it might be a bit stale. Buns aside, if you knead a quick and easy homemade bread recipe, here's a three ingredient, vegan, no-knead and yeast-free bun recipe that you're sure to loaf!
Ready? Here's what to dough.
- Three cups of self-raising flour
- 245ml of beer
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Plus your preferred topping
- Half a cup of cheddar cheese (use vegan cheese if preferred)
- Half a cup of drained and sliced jalapenos or sundried tomatoes
- Two cloves of garlic and/or onions
- Fresh or dried herbs, such as rosemary or oregano
- For a sweeter bread, add a quarter cup of honey, or maple syrup for a vegan option
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit or 180 degrees celsius
- Combine the flour, beer and salt in a large mixing bowl until just combined
- Add your preferred topping into the batter, leaving some aside to garnish over the top
- Transfer mixture to a lightly greased baking tray and shape into a little mould with your hands, or transfer to your bread pan
- You may wish to spread a little butter or nutelex over the top of the batter for a golden, crispy crust
- Bake for about 40 minutes depending on your oven, or when a knife comes out clean
Notes and Substitutes
- If you only have plain flour, you will need to add 1 tablespoon of baking soda to help the bread rise.
- I used Asahi Light beer, but you could use most beers or lagers. Be sure to use a vegan beer, if preferred.
- This mixture will make you a small loaf, which you can slice up and freeze for later if necessary. If you're looking for plastic-free Reusable Silicone Zip Lock Bags, check out our ones here. Don't expect too many leftovers though - this loaf is especially delicious when served warm with lots of butter or your favourite spread.
If you give this recipe a rye, do let me know in the comments below!